To be successful at dating online, you have to put in a good amount of effort into building the perfect online dating profile.
The first mistake that beginners in online dating make is that they leave their profile blank, or they do it half-baked. You’ll never get any dates this way because there’s nothing for potential matches to see and read! However, if you construct your dating profile well, you could get more matches, views, and messages.
But, how do you start?
5 Things to Focus on When Setting Up a good Online Dating Profile
Every aspect of a perfect online dating profile is well thought of, from picking the right username, all the way down to choosing the appropriate photos to feature.
In this guide, we are going to go through the anatomy of the perfect online dating profile:
An Attractive Username
Start with a name that sounds positive and attractive.
Your username will represent some part of your personality. You may be thinking that you should just stick to your regular nickname combined with numbers, like Matt5678 or Beth1999, but these all sound very generic. You don’t want your date to think of you as someone plain and boring.
Instead, try out the following tips:
- Stay away from names with negative connotations, like “Bugg” or “Little” because people often associate them with inferiority.
- If you are a woman, men usually respond to names that describe your physical attractiveness like “BrunetteBeauty.”
- For men, try screen names that hint at your intelligence. For example, “Humble_Novelist.”
A Flattering Main Photo
Always place your most flattering photo as your main one (no group shots on your main photo), and be sure to match how interesting your photo is with your primary headline message.
All dating profiles will allow you to have one primary photo, then a slew of other photos in a gallery. Both types of photos are important, but you should pay more attention to your primary one because this is what potential dates will see first.
- You have to dress appropriately. Don’t dress too formally (like in business attire), but don’t underdress either (like sweatpants and a torn-up shirt). Smart casual is the way to go.
- A primary photo with you smiling increases your attractiveness. It has to be a genuine smile, the kind that crinkles up your eyes.
A Creative but Simple Headline Message
Just like your primary photo, your headline message is the first line that your potential online date will see.
Use your creativity when composing your description. Don’t make it your resume; it’s supposed to be short and sweet. Follow the 70:30 rule – 70% should be about yourself, but it’s not just about you. 30% of your description should be about the person that you’re looking for.
Make it simple – people are drawn to words that are easy to remember and pronounce. Your main line doesn’t have to sound Shakespearean. It just has to inspire a response. The following are good examples:
- “You’ll never guess why I went to _______ last year.”
- “I’d love to meet someone I can drink coffees with.”
- “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” (a Harry Potter reference)
- “I have a Ph.D. in making pasta.”
All of these examples are great conversation starters that will break the ice and allow your potential dates to get a good idea of what you’re like as a real person. If you go with the Harry Potter line, for instance, your date will know that you’re into magic and that you’re a bit of a geek.
Note: There are dating profiles that don’t allow you to put in a headline message. If this is the case, you can put yours at the very start of your description.
An Interesting Gallery
Your photo gallery is the best way to show off your different sides. Upload several photos of yourself, smiling and doing different activities.
For example, if you love traveling, then upload two or three photos of yourself in different countries. If you’re into sports, then you can also upload some of your sporty shots playing basketball or football.
To guide you further, here are some Dos and Don’ts:
- Do use up all of the spaces in your gallery. If you have space for seven photos, fill them up.
- Variety is the way to go. Even if you love traveling, don’t just upload travel photos.
- It’s good to show off your social side. Do upload a photo of yourself in a group. Some experts do not advise this because it might confuse your potential date. However, because you already have your primary photo in place, it’s an okay step to take.
This is one of the most important elements in making the perfect online dating profile because this is where you can present yourself in detail.
The first thing that you should remember is that your description should not be your resume. It should not contain all the work experiences you’ve had plus all the successes you have garnered outside of work.
However, it should:
- Be short yet engaging
- Be closer to reality (don’t blow yourself up through your words)
- Be in line with the 70:30 ratio: 70% should be about yourself, and 30% should be about the person you’re looking for. Example, your 30% could say something like, “A woman who’s into coffee, traveling, and puppies.”
- Present your best character traits because it will increase your likeability.
- Men usually appreciate a woman who is physically active. Mention the sports or exercises you do.
- Women, on the other hand, are more attracted to men who take risks and are brave. Mention travel experiences or extreme sports that you’re interested in.
When it comes to the perfect online dating profile, you really have to put in the effort and creativity as you think about the five things mentioned on the list.
Hopefully, you’ll do a great job at composing the perfect online dating profile. If you have one already, then you can update your existing profile to get more views and responses.
Good luck in your journey to finding true love online!